Reference group selected in Local Government Act review
21 February 2019
With a major review of Tasmania’s Local Government Act well and truly underway, a Reference Group has been formed to provide support in this process.
The Reference Group membership includes local government representatives, local businesses, industry, and community stakeholders. I am confident this diverse range of perspectives will help develop strong, practical reforms to support the local government sector and their communities into the future.
The Group’s role is to workshop feedback from the already underway consultation process, and provide advice to the Review Steering Committee on possible options for reform.
The major review into the Local Government Act will ensure it is contemporaneous and reflects and supports what communities expect from their local councils.
I thank all those who expressed an interest in joining the Reference Group and encourage them to stay involved in the process.
The Reference Group members are:
- Doug Chipman, Mayor Clarence City Council
- Peter Freshney, Mayor, Latrobe Council
- Kerry Vincent, Mayor, Sorell Council
- Cheryl Arnol, Councillor, Glamorgan Spring Bay Council
- Claire Smith, Director Organisational Performance, Waratah Wynyard Council
- Lynette While, Director Community and Development Services, Meander Valley Council
- John Brown, General Manager, Break O’Day Council
- Andrew Paul, General Manager, Clarence City Council
- Karen Abey, Solicitor, Simmons Wolfhagen
- Margaret Taylor, community member
- Pamela Allan, Adjunct Professor, School of Technology, Environment and Design, UTAS
- Craig Perkins, CEO, Regional Development Australia - Tasmania
- Rhonda Skelton, Board Member, Northern Midlands Business Association
- Kym Goodes, CEO, TasCOSS
- Luke Martin, CEO, Tourism Industry Council Tasmania
- Brian Wightman, Executive Director, Property Council of Australia – Tas Division
- Michael Bailey, CEO, Tasmanian Chamber of Commerce and Industry